Pages

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Pina Colada Jam

Christmas will be here before you know it and while most of my shopping is done, (I know am as shocked as you!) I still need to think of something to give to teachers, neighbors, and those people that you weren't expecting a gift from but now they're on your doorstep with one so you need to come up with something quick to give them! Yeh, I think there are a few people that do that to me on purpose just to see me squirm and go, "oh shoot. I didn't know we were exchanging gifts today, I'll have to bring your gift tomorrow......." Not this year though. This year, "Christmas will be OURS!!" (Shouted in my best Jack Skeleton voice.) Because when you add up all the school teachers, AWANAS leaders, Sunday School teachers, piano, choir, etc. we end up with approximately a billion people who deserve gifts for putting up with my brats sweet angels I needed a gift that is not only something people would want but something that could be mass produced.... 

Bring on the Pina Colada Jam! I got this here: Pina Colada Jam and while unfortunately all the alcohol cooks out, the taste is amazing!! Like lick the spoon even though it's still molten hot good. 

What you'll need:


3 1/2 cups fresh or frozen pineapple, peeled, cored and pureed (Do not use canned pineapple!)
1 cup of Cream of Coconut (I used the Coco Lopez brand, do not use Coconut Milk!!!)

1/3 cup light or coconut rum (I used Pineapple Jack's pineapple-coconut rum, it's sooo good!!)
1/4 cup real lemon juice
6 1/2 cups sugar
2- 3oz pkg. liquid pectin
1 teaspoon butter or margarine
9 half-pint glass canning jars with lids


1. Start your water bath canner and sterilize your 9 half-pint jars, lids, and bands. 

2. Once your pineapple is pureed put in a heavy pot along with your cream of coconut, rum, lemon juice and margarine. Stir well. 
3. Stir in the sugar to the mix and bring to a rolling boil on high. (A rolling boil is one that cannot be stirred down.) Stir constantly and boil hard for 5 minutes. 
4. Stir in pectin and bring back to rolling boil and boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and if needed, skim the foam. 
5. Ladle the hot Pina Colada jam into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch head space. Put on lids and twist bands until finger tight. 
6. Process jars in boiling water bath for 15 minutes. Remove jars and let seal. (Nothing like hearing the *pop* to let you know your jars are sealed!) If any jars are unsealed; refrigerate and use within 3 weeks. Enjoy!

This stuff would be great on biscuits, toast, ice cream, or even warmed up as a dipping sauce for coconut shrimp. Add a homemade tag or in our case a hand-painted (by the kids) ornament and you have the prefect homespun gift that anyone will enjoy. Goodbye Christmas Gift Guilt! Take that you overly nice, thoughtful gift-givers, who I may have only talked to twice this year but you still thought about me enough to give me some nice hand lotion. :-) 




Oh and don't forget, since you do have all the ingredients to make a Pina Colada, go ahead and pour yourself one!! 
Yours Truly, 
Deja

No comments: