It's a rainy day here and so while the kids are making bed sheet forts in their room (no yelling for the last 30 minutes!!!) I am in the mood to cook. Not only do I want to cook but I want to make the BEST roasted chicken recipe ever. No really, it is! Recipe adapted from The Pioneer Woman Cooks.
The best part of this recipe? It's super easy with just a few ingredients.All you need is a whole chicken, 3 lemons, dried rosemary, salt, pepper, & 3/4 cups (1 1/2 sticks) of butter or margarine. I know that's a crap ton of butter unless you're Paula Deen but it is worth it. Feel free to add any other spices you would like; minced garlic would be great in this.
Rinse and dry your chicken. And of course, pull out the bag of guts because we all know they're there and as disgusting as it is, it's not going to go away. So put on your big girl panties and shove your hand in there! (Sorry that was more for me then you.... I hate that part!) Now in a bowl combine softened margarine, 2 Tbsp. dried rosemary, a pinch of salt, a few grinds of pepper, and then the zest of all three lemons. Mix it all together.
In a large baking dish, take the margarine mixture and coat the chicken with it. This is where those years of putting sunscreen on kids will pay off. Make sure to get every crevice and even gently work it under the skin. Use all the margarine mixture and then cut the lemons in half, squeeze the juice over the chicken, and shove the lemons into the chicken cavity. Bake the chicken at 425 degrees for 1 hour 15 minutes or until done. Ready to see the finished product?!?!?
Wa-La! How freaking good does that look? Perfectly golden brown and the taste is AMAZING! This recipe is kid and husband approved. Because of the great flavor, and the massive amount of butter, this is a recipe I'll be saving for special occasions. A rainy Monday is a special occasion right?!
|That's one kid approved meal!!|
The BEST Roasted Chicken
- 1 whole Chicken
- 3/4 cups Butter or Margarine, Softened
- 3 whole Lemons
- 2 Tbsp. Dried Rosemary
- A pinch of salt and pepper
Preparation Instructions1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. In a bowl, combine softened butter, zest of three lemons, 2 Tbsp. dried rosemary, pinch of salt, and a couple grinds of pepper.
3. In a large baking dish, use your fingers to smear the butter mixture all over the chicken, under the skin, and inside the cavity. Cut the lemons in half and squeeze the juice all over the chicken. Place the lemon halves into the cavity of the chicken.
4. Place the chicken into the oven and roast it for 1 hour, 15 minutes or until done. Skin should be deep golden brown and juices should be sizzling.