Pages

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Happy Pi Day!

     Happy Pi Day! Or for all my brainy folks out there, Happy 3.141592653589793.... oh who gives a crap Day! Like most sweet toothed people out there I have turned Pi Day into Pie Day and thought it only fair that I share with you one of my favorite and easiest pie recipes. It is my Cherry Blueberry Pie! This pie became a family favorite at first bite and is now a Thanksgiving staple right next to my 1st prize winning (no seriously) Caramel Pecan Apple Pie and my Maple Walnut Pumpkin Pie. 
     Speaking of prize winning, let me tell you a little back story on this pie. This pie was the first pie I ever learned to make and even though I hadn't mastered a pie dough recipe, I considered this MY amazing pie. I was so proud of this pie that I decided to enter it into our local BBQ Blow-out Pie Contest. Needless to say, my store-bought pie dough, canned cherry pie filling, and minimal homemade efforts didn't get first place..... it didn't even place at all. But, after the judging they (local 4H families) slice up the pies and sell them by the slice and I will have you know that my pie was the 1st to be sold out. So while this pie isn't completely made from scratch; it is freakin' tasty. I won't even judge you if you use store bought pie crust. 
      It may have taken me 4 years and about 5 different recipes but I finally did win that pie contest. While I didn't get a fancy ribbon that I probably would have worn for the next month and a half, I did get myself a sweet set of measuring cups. Woot Woot! Anyways, back to the Cherry Blueberry Pie Recipe! 





Cherry-Blueberry Pie

Ingredients:
Pie crust for double-crust pie 
Filling:
½ cup sugar
2 Tbsp. corn starch
1 can (21 oz) Cherry Pie Filling or 2 cups homemade Cherry Pie Filling
1 ½ cups fresh or frozen blueberries 

Glaze:
1 egg white
1 tsp. water
2 tsp. coarse sugar

1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Place half of pie crust in 9-in glass pie plate.
2. In large bowl, mix ½ cup sugar and the cornstarch. Stir in cherry pie 
filling and blueberries. Spoon into crust-lined pie plate. Top with second 
half of crust; seal edges and flute. Cut slits or shapes in several places
in top crust.
3. In small bowl, beat egg white and water with fork until blended. Brush 
over top of pie and sprinkle with 2 tsp. coarse sugar. Cover edges of pie 
with 2-3 inch wide strips of foil to prevent excessive browning. Remove 
foil during the last 15 minutes of baking.
4. Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool on cooling 
rack at least 2 hours before serving. Enjoy!! 
 
 
K2 as a baby enjoying Mama's Cherry Blueberry Pie
 



Yours Truly, 
Deja 

No comments: