Pages

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

More Frugal Fresheners

After learning how to make my own Fabric Freshener that actually smelled damn good, I started searching the internet for other homemade air fresheners. I found
 this post on Holy Cricky on how to make your own fragrance for your used plug-in warmers. The post talks about how the store brand fragrance has something called VOC in it which is something really bad that causes cancer, infertility, and a whole mess of other things. Naturally I was happy to find a cancer-free alternative (although the hypochondriac in me swears I've already damaged myself from using them in the past) but really the idea of saving money by reusing the old fragrance bulbs with my own essential oils and water was what sold me. Especially since I had 6 bottles of barely used essential oils in my barely used craft closet from a homemade lotion attempt that went horribly wrong. Score!

All you need:
A few used plug-in warmers with empty bulbs
essential oils of your choice
water


First you take the empty bulbs and remove the wick and then rinse the bulb in warm water. 


Take your essential oils and fill the bulb a third of the way full. My bulb was one of those bulbs for a duel warmer so I used two scents: Lotus Flower and Sweet Pea. 


Then fill the bulb the rest of the way with water (we're paying for 2/3 water!), leaving room for the wick. Insert the wick and they are ready to use.


Now how easy was that? I have to be honest and say that personally I didn't think the scent was as strong as the store bought bulbs but I think you could change that by using more essential oil and less water. I also don't remember exactly how much I paid for the essential oil because I bought them at Hobby Lobby a couple of years ago but I still think it was cheaper then buying the plug-in refills. Regardless, this version is free cancer causing ingredients and that's always a good thing right? 


Try it out and let me know what you think! 

Yours Truly,
Deja

No comments: