Pages

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Christmas Traditions

It's Christmas time again and while there are so many things about the holiday that I love there is one thing that I absolutely hate....... 
 This Guy.

Yup, the ole' Elf on a Shelf. If you don't know, the purpose of the Elf on the Shelf is to sit him out before Christmas (usually the day after Thanksgiving) and tell the kids that he's one of Santa's helper sent to watch over the kids and make sure they behave before Christmas. His box even says to, "Adopt a new Family Tradition this Holiday Season". Well that sounds like a good time doesn't it? No, it doesn't. Not at all. What the box doesn't tell you is that when you buy or as in my case, your mother-in-law buys this guy you are stuck trying to find new and exciting ways for the kids to find him each morning. Yes, that's right, he's supposed to move. There are even blog pages full of cute and unique ways to pose your Elf on the Shelf when your kids go to bed. Like so....
Photo courtesy of  Twirlie Whirlies
 
Which is all fine and dandy if you're one of "those" moms who has nothing better to do then think up imaginary adventures that your little elf can go on while you're all asleep. Hey, I'm not judging, more power to ya. But if you've learned anything from this blog then you've learned that I'm not one of "those" moms. 
Heck, if we're being honest I can't even remember to have my kids brush their teeth every night let alone find some special way for the elf (who my kids named Dasher) to surprise them each morning. I'm lucky if I can remember to move him from the book shelf to the desk each night. What has already happened more then once this year is that I wake up at 5 in the morning from a dead sleep suddenly remembering I need to move that frickin' elf. So then I get up, tip toe around the house, and place him in a new and unique spot for tomorrow, "hey on top of the microwave sounds adventurous!" 
Eh, good enough.
So while all of you count down the days to Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, whatever it is you celebrate, I will be counting down the days until I can shove that stupid elf back in the Christmas decorations tub where he belongs. 

Bah-Humbug I mean, Yours Truly,
Deja

No comments: