Pages

Friday, November 2, 2012

Pumpkin Bird Feeder

    I know I know, I have kind of been slacking on the blog updates. Sorry!! Life has been unusually busy lately and I haven't had time to get on the computer much..... Okay, things have only been mildly busy and I've been really lazy but same difference. 
    Anyways. Anyone remember my post about Pumpkin Flower Pots? Yes Deja, it was only your last post. Well I wanted to share with you what I did with the tops of my pumpkins. And if you're good I just might give you my top secret recipe for prefect pumpkin seeds. 
    I got the idea from a Pumpkin Bird Feeder  I made in my Mothers Group a few years back. This is another craft that takes just a few supplies and little to no effort. I'm sensing a theme when it comes to my crafting! So first grab your supplies: Peanut Butter, Bird Seed, Yarn, and Pumpkin Tops. 


    Then what I did is hollow out the center of the pumpkin as best I could and cut 4 slits on the sides of the pumpkin tops. I then pull two strands of yarn evenly through opposite sides of the pumpkin and tied them at the top. 


   After that I coated the hollowed out part of the pumpkin with peanut butter. I don't think you have to do this step but I did just to ensure my bird seed wouldn't fall out as easily and hey, birds like peanut butter. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself. After the coating of peanut butter I filled the pumpkin bowl with bird seed and Tah-Dah! We have a pumpkin bird feeder!
    
    How cute is that? And like most of my crafts this one only took 15 minutes tops. Now since you've been such a good reader, here is your pumpkin seed recipe I promised. The secret is boiling the seeds in salt water before cooking in the oven. It is the best way I have found to get rid of the woody, splintery texture but still allows them to cook up nice and crunchy. 

Deja's Roasted Pumpkin Seeds:

Ingredients:
2 cups Pumpkin Seeds
4 Tbsp Salt plus 1 tsp. salt
8 cups Water
2 Tbsp. Canola Oil
1 Tbsp. Margarine or Butter
 Additional Seasonings of your choice (Seasoning Salt, Taco Seasoning or Cinnamon Sugar would be great.) 
 

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Then bring 8 cups of water for every 2 cup of seeds to a boil. Add 4 tablespoons of salt for every 2 cup of seeds. Simmer the seeds for 15 minutes. Then drain.

2.  Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt to pumpkin seeds. Toss to coat and layer on cookie sheet coated with cooking spray. 

3.  Roast for 20-30 minutes. Stirring every 15 minutes. I usually cook mine for 30-40 minutes because I prefer mine toasted a darker brown. Toss in a bowl with 1 Tbsp. butter/margarine and then transfer to a plate to cool. Enjoy!!

   These seeds are so tasty and so addictive. I can't put them down! I prefer my seeds with just salt and margarine but don't be afraid to play around with different seasoning combinations. Look at us, using a whole pumpkin for three different things!! Well, almost a whole pumpkin, I did throw the stringy goop away but I'm sure you could add it to your compost pile or something like that. I feel so green now, go us!! 
Yours Truly,
Deja

No comments: