Pages

Friday, November 30, 2012

Frugal Fabric Freshener

     I am a fan of fabric freshener. There's something about spraying some smell good stuff all over your house as a way to mask the disaster area that it is that appeals to me. The problem with most store bought fabric fresheners is that for a cheap frugal mother of three, I can't justify spending 3 bucks on some spray that while it makes my house smell clean, doesn't really "do" anything. I know what you're saying, "girl it's just three bucks." but with one and a half incomes that three dollars could go to something more important like socks or cheese, or I don't know there's not a lot of glamorous things that are three dollars but I'm sure I could put it to better use. 

    Not wanting to completely give up my smell good spray I searched the web or more actually Pinterest and found this recipe on Fake-It Frugal. I changed the recipe around a littlet but this is a simple recipe that really works! 

First you will need the following supplies: One used or new 16 oz. spray bottle. (If you use a different sized bottle just adjust the ingredients to accommidate the bottle size), 1/4 cup of fabric softener, 2 Tbsp. baking soda, and hot water to fill the bottle. 




If you have a little funnel or something it will help when pouring the ingredients in the bottle but it's not required. I didn't use one. All you do is open the bottle, pour in your fabric softener and baking soda and then fill it the rest of the way with hot tap water. (Yes we pay $3 for mainly water. How insane is that?!?) Leave a little bit of head space so you can insert the sprayer and then once it's closed tightly, go ahead and give it a shake to mix the ingredients. 



How simple is that? This is a quick and easy recipe that really does a great job. I agree with Fake-It Frugal and think that this version of fabric freshener seems to last longer then the store brand version. Which for me means my kids messy rooms will at least smell clean just a little longer! 

The Breakdown
Store Brand: $3 a bottle
Homemade: Only 20 cents a bottle!!
Verdict: The store brand fabric freshener can kiss my frugal booty, I'm making my own for now on! 

Try this recipe out and tell me what you think. Let your Frugal Flag Fly!! 

Yours Truly,
Deja   

No comments: