Pages

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Fall Cupcake Tasting

    Recently I wanted an excuse to try out different flavored cupcakes. While my family enjoys dessert, it seems like no matter what kind of cake I make it usually ends up sitting around until it turns brick hard. I decided a way to try out a bunch of the fall recipes I've been working on was to have a Fall Cupcake Tasting. And I'm not gonna lie, I kind of hoped that people would try my cupcakes and be so impressed that they just had to order more of whatever flavor they were savoring. But mainly I wanted people to try my new cupcake flavors and give me feedback on what I could do differently. 
    Without going into a long story about how I painstakingly picked out my cupcake flavors(I chose 5 flavors), how I chose the people to attend (I just created an event on my Facebook page), and all work that went into pulling off the event I thought I would just give you the highlights. The Good, Bad, and Ugly.

Let's just get it over with and start with the Bad: 
    Nowadays it seems like someone always has something going on so picking a date can be hard. I thought I picked the prefect date but it was only after I created the event that I found out that it was not only the day of The Color Run in Lawrence but it was also the KU/K-State Football Game. Over half of the people I intended on coming would be at one of these events and ended up missing my own event. 
This was before it started but I was going for pity points

 But that's okay because The Good:

    I ended up having a great turn out of people. I was not only impressed with the amount of people that ended up coming but I was surprised by a few faces that I had no clue were coming. For a girl that always feels like she has no friends, I realized not only do I have friends but they're pretty damn amazing. 

Okay, here goes The Ugly:
    While the cupcake tasting was a success, not even 4 hours prior to the event I was having a less then flattering meltdown, stressing about finishing up all the cupcakes and threatening to call off the whole thing. Once again, super husband came to the rescue and showed up early to help me get the final touches ready. I wish I could say this was a one-time baker freak out but if you ask my husband, I usually freak out at least once while making a cake. This one was just a little more spazztastic then usual.

Now after that I deserve at least another Good:
    The cupcakes, oh my gosh let me tell you, they were SOOOO good. I did a rating scale of 1-5 (5 being the best) and none of them received lower then a 3. In fact my Brown Butter Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting received all 5 ratings!! That recipe is definitely a keeper, go me!! 

Not that you asked but here's another really Good:
    Thanks to my cupcake tasting I am currently booked with cake/cupcake orders for the next two months!!!! Yay!!! Oh, and even after giving away most my extra cupcakes in a drawing, there were just enough left for my bunch to have.... and they didn't even let them get rock hard! 


Foodgasm Time!!



Oh yea!!

Uh-huh

These were the 6 packs I gave away in the drawing!



You like that? You sick puppies!! So what's your favorite fall flavor? You never know, it could inspire my next great cupcake recipe!! 


Yours Truly,
Deja



No comments: